If you want your bag to last and look great for a long time, proper care needs to be done on a regular basis. Here are some tips on what you need to do:
- Wipe down your bag with a clean microfiber cloth after every use. Also make sure to handle your leather bag with clean hands.
- We suggest applying a leather conditioner about once a year and buffing gently with a dry cloth. This prevents flaking & wrinkling. Remember to test the leather conditioner first on a small area of the bottom of the bag to see if this is the right conditioner for your type of leather before applying it to the whole bag. Also, do not use leather conditioner on patent leather.
- Never keep your bag in or near extreme temperatures nor in the path of direct sunlight. A cool and dark spot in your closet or home is best. If your bag storage cabinet or shelf has lighting, LED would be the best choice to minimize damage to your bag.
- Avoid placing your bag on a concrete floors since it may promote fungal growth in some bags.
- When rain or snow is in the forecast, try to avoid using your leather bag since water is very harmful to all sorts of leather.
- Keep all metal parts of your bag in good condition as well. Clean it with a microfiber cloth. Never use oil or metal cleaner on these parts since it may drip and cause damage to your leather bag.
- Avoid over-cleaning your bag. Leather acquires a natural and beautiful patina over time that is not considered dirt or damage. Over-cleaning leads to build-up of products that may lead to faster deterioration of your bag.
- Make sure to rotate your handbags in use from time to time. Leather will fold and bend when stored for long periods of time, using them and getting them out of storage is one of the best ways to prevent unwanted creases and folds.